The deadline for admissions is 1st March. It is still possible to apply for admission after this date, but priority will be given to those received before the deadline. Bergen Katedralskole has the following general admission policy for the IB Diploma.
Admission is dependent on:
- a valid Norwegian residence permit and registered address in Vestlands fylkeskommune (applicants in the process of moving to Vestland with their parents may have a conditional offer based on documentation provided, if otherwise qualified)
- availability of places and subjects
- a satisfactory level of English in order to be able to follow the programme
- Mathematics at Vg1 or equivalent: Grade 4 or better (According to the Norwegian grading scale a 4 is described as "high degree of competence in the subject").
- English at Vg1 or equivalent: Grade 5 or better (According to the Norwegian grading scale a 5 is described as "very high degree of competence in the subject").
- Applicants need a grade average of 4,5 from Norwegian vg1
- IB Middle Years Programme MYP 5: students are expected to have grades 6 or higher in Mathematics and Natural sciences, grades 5 or higher in English/Norwegian language A, and an overall grade average of 5.5 (IB scale). The MYP Personal Project must have been completed. Students are expected to have completed at least two consecutive years in the Middle Years Programme before they can be considered eligible for entry into the Diploma Programme.
- A minimum of ten years schooling
Applicants with other educational backgrounds
Applicants with other educational backgrounds will be individually assessed in order to establish an overview of their qualifications. The applicant must provide documentation (translated into English) to show that their educational level is equivalent to Vg1 STUSP. The applicant may be required to sit for additional entrance exams and interviews if a foreign certificate presents difficulties in determining the applicant's level of ability.
Foreign students, students at International schools and Norwegian students not living in Norway must use our application form (If the form doesn't accept your attached files, please e-mail them directly to Gillian Boniface).
Students taking the first year of the IBDP at another IB-school can apply to complete their diploma at Bergen Katedralskole. Each students will be considered on an individual basis on the condition that their subject choices fit with those that we offer and that we have spaces available. We ask that if possible you take contact with us before starting your IBDP-studies or as early as possible during the first year.
Certificate of residence
Applicants must have a registered address in Bergen or one of the other municipalities in Vestland by the application deadline on 1 March. Applicants who are in the process of moving to Vestland county together with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), are eligible to apply for a place. They will, however, not secure a place until they provide documentation proving that they've moved to a Vestland county address together with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). Bergen Katedralskole does not accept applications from students whose parent(s) or legal guardians(s) will not be residing in Vestland county during their period of study.
Bergen Katedralskole is a Norwegian public school and therefore has no tuition fees. There is, however, an administrative IB-cost of NOK 10.000,- per student per school year (paid in two parts).
Apply through Vigo (try this first if you have a Norwegian ID-number)
Application Form to the IBDP for students unable to apply through VIGO